…commonly known by my latin title and semi-inherited nickname triff.
I’m a 3d/game/VFX artist and video editor/director specialising in game dev,VFX and marketing. Since departing full-time development in 2010, my time has remained evenly split between VFX, game trailers/ads and game development, and more recently as Art Director for Wushu Studios.
Until 2010, I spent six years as a lead 3d and video artist at Evolution Studios, first on PS3 launch title MotorStorm and sequel Pacific Rift before heading down the road to Sony’s Studio Liverpool, where I was art lead on projects for PS3 and a very work-in-progress PS Vita. The split between making games and trailers suits my creative/technical split perfectly, the skills involved are a natural compliment and constantly inform each other whilst making sure I never get bored of either.
Knowing games inside-out as a player and as a developer/video artist has led to a very rounded understanding of game dev and trailer requirements, production processes and software and a fearsome eye for quality, detail and visual consistency.
I am constantly evolving my skills, but I have been using 3D Studio Max (and R3/R4 if you remember those), Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere Pro for well over 20 years; other weapons of choice include Redshift, Unity 3D, Maya, V-Ray, Illustrator and Nuke. I am currently taming a fresh beast called Houdini.
- Getting on for 20 years professional experience as a 3d/game artist, video director and editor
- Commercially successful with 5 million sales on PlayStation 3 in senior art roles
- Extensive lighting, rendering and compositing experience for both game and VFX
- Proven track record in end-to-end game trailer creative writing, direction and editing
- PC, PlayStation, Unreal, Unity 3d, Xbox and GameCube (remember that?!) development experience
- Integral creative involvement with the MotorStorm franchise on PS3 since inception
- PlayStation Home: MotorStorm (PS3) – Principal Artist
- MotorStorm Pacific Rift (PS3) – Creative Lead/Senior Artist
- MotorStorm/PlayStation Home (PS3) – Principal Artist, Art Director
- MotorStorm DLC (PS3) – Creative Lead
- MotorStorm (PS3) – 3D Artist, Cinematics & Video Lead
- Corvette (PS2/Xbox/PC) – 3D & Cinematics Artist
- Rocky (GameCube) – 3D/Video Artist
- Master Rallye (PC/PS2) – 3D Artist
Trailers & Clients
- PATTERNS: Too Many T’s
- TTR: World Tour: Playrise Digital
- Playworld Superheroes: Starship Group
- The Last Tinker: Mimimi/Unity Games
- Tesla Breaks the World: Archetype
- Sonic Lost World: SEGA
- Symantec: RenderPositive
- HP: RenderPositive
- Joe Danger 2: Hello Games
- Saint’s Row IV: Volition/Deep Silver
- Defiance: Trion Worlds
- LittleBig Planet (Vita): SCEE
- Dark Souls: From Software/Namco Bandai
- Binary Domain: SEGA
- MotorStorm Pacific Rift: Evolution Studios/SCEE
- MotorStorm: Evolution Studios
MotorStorm (3D Artist, Cinematics & Video Lead)
- Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences ‘Racing Game of the Year‘
- BAFTA Nomination (2007), ‘Technical Achievement‘
- BAFTA Nomination (2007), ‘Sports‘
- MCV Develop Award: ‘Best New IP’
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (Creative Lead/Senior Artist)
- BAFTA Nomination (2008), ‘Sports‘
- Big Chip Award ‘Game of the North’
Apple Certified Pro: Final Cut Pro Level 2
Scottish Arts Council: shortlisted for Shear, 2002 short film. Editing, motion graphics, second camera.
BA(Hons) Creative Visualisation 2:1, University of Teesside, 1999
Foundation Diploma in Art & Design, Birmingham Institute of Art & Design, 1996